Astrazeneca Summer Internship 2022 – Clinical Immuno-Oncology
Alderley Edge SK9, UK
On-Site or Remote
Competitive salary and benefits package on offer.
About the Role
Do you have expertise in, and a passion for immune-Oncology?
Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the lives of patient’s living with cancer in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines?
Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
We currently having an exciting opportunity for a Scientist to join the Clinical Immuno-Oncology, Early Oncology team.
Follow the Science to Pioneer New Frontiers Be part of the team that follows the science to transform the lives of cancer patients.
As part of Early Oncology Research and Development, you will be a member of a team of professionals who are pioneering new frontiers by identifying and treating patients earlier while working toward the aim of eliminating cancer.
What you’ll do As a Scientist, the role is anchored within the Early Oncology, Clinical Immuno-Oncology (IO) Discovery group at AstraZeneca, Cambridge.
Within this dynamic team setting, you will apply your passion and expertise in immunology assays to further elucidate the mechanism of action of IO agents already being tested in clinical trials. This position will provide the opportunity to dissect and explore novel preclinical biology, to liaise with cross functional teams, to see your ideas influence clinical strategies and to present your findings at conferences and in high quality/high impact peer reviewed journals.
Key responsibilities include:
• This is a laboratory-based position. You will be responsible for executing in vitro experiments to address key questions arising from clinical trials and/or affiliated with IO candidate drugs currently being evaluated in clinical trials. Collaborative working with other colleagues in Early Oncology is, therefore, essential.
• Write up and present pertinent findings in a timely manner.
• Problem solve and establish innovative approaches to fuel understanding of candidate drug activities & potential combination partners.
• Contribute to scientific publications (posters & manuscripts) for external communication in addition to supporting documents associated with regulatory submissions.
• Ability to be agile in thought and research development, and demonstrate strength in independent research while having the ability to work effectively in a collaborative setting.
• Support other laboratory based colleagues in the Clinical Immuno-Oncology (IO) Discovery group to ensure a safe, well organized and effective laboratory environment. Essential Requirements This laboratory based position within the AstraZeneca organization requires an experienced graduate scientist whose qualities and experience include the following:
• A BSc, or equivalent experience, in immunology, cancer biology, cell biology or mammalian biology. • Drive and enthusiasm for researching approaches to the therapeutic manipulation of the immune system in oncology settings
• Hands-on skills in basic biochemical and immunological methods including cell culture, multi-color flow cytometry (FACS), ELISA/multiplex assays, ELISPOT, western blotting, immunoprecipitation, cell killing assays. • Strong interpersonal, influencing and collaboration skills
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Ability to work in a high paced team environment, plan and meet timelines • Proven track record of success in immunology focused laboratory activities, and experience preparing written scientific reports and oral presentations. Desirable Requirements • Molecular biology skills including protein extraction, DNA/RNA extraction and CRISPR • Experience working with antibody drug conjugates and/or immune checkpoint therapies.
• Experience with preclinical animal models aligned to cancer immunotherapy research
• Experience with safe-handling and experimentation with primary human cells and tissues Location: Cambridge, UK Competitive salary and benefits package on offer. So, what’s next?
• Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you.
As part of the application process for some roles at AstraZeneca, candidates may be asked to complete a series of online games, created by pymetrics, to assess certain candidate qualities to help evaluate potential match for the position. If the pymetrics process applies to this role, you will receive an email invitation with additional information following application. Once completed AZ will automatically receive your results – pymetrics will not be used solely in our decision-making process but will help us gather additional insight
About the Company
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases.
But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we’re proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration.
About Our Cambridge UK Oncology Hub The role is transitioning in 2022 to the Cambridge Biomedical Campus; combining world-class biomedical research, patient care and education on a single site location in the heart of Cambridge. This new purpose-built site will bring together the company’s research and development activity in a state-of-the-art strategic R&D center and global corporate headquarters. The building has been designed with the open architecture reflecting AstraZeneca’s collaborative approach to research. Open laboratories and transparent glass walls will enable new ways of working across disciplines, whilst a central courtyard will put science on full display.
How to Apply