Pfizer UK Undergraduate Programme 2022/2023 Medical Affairs Undergraduate - Vaccines
Walton Oaks, Dorking Rd, Tadworth KT20 7NS, UK
On-Site or Remote
About the Role
The Vaccines team vision is to be an active partner in eradicating disease and preventing death and illness in the UK by supporting the delivery of sustainable, high-quality immunisation as part of an integrated life-course prevention strategy. The Vaccines Medical Affairs team consists of doctors, pharmacists and colleagues with life sciences backgrounds who work closely with a cross functional team (colleagues from other departments) to deliver on projects and activities and provide medical and scientific expertise in the field of vaccinology. The Medical Affairs team is also involved in developing new ways to engage with and partner with healthcare professionals, patients & other stakeholders.
The purpose of the undergraduate role is to gain an insight into the pharmaceutical industry and meet experts working in a wide range of roles and departments. The opportunities to work cross-functionally, with other teams, offers an insight into the different career opportunities industry has to offer.
What can I achieve and what will I be accountable for whilst completing a placement at Pfizer?
As part of a vibrant and talented medical affairs team, you can look forward to developing numerous skills and being a valued team player.
You will develop a multitude of skills including:
- Communication and interactive skills through liaising with colleagues and external stakeholders
- Organisational and project management skills through working on a variety of projects
- Presentation skills by discussing your work at meetings
- Teamwork skills through your role in various matrix teams
Roles and opportunities will include:
- Assist the Medical team with key projects and deliverables aligned with the medical strategy. This will include supporting and delivering projects for both internal and external stakeholders. For instance, this may include projects relating to data analysis and presentation, investigator initiated research (ISR), clinical trials, non-interventional studies, database studies and registries.
- Helping the medical team to stay abreast of relevant published literature and developments, by reviewing and summarising key information.
- You will develop in-depth scientific knowledge of Pfizer vaccines within your nominated therapy area(s) as well as that of key competitors
- You will learn about the ABPI Code of practice and Pfizer SOPs (standard operating procedures) and help to ensure that all activity is compliant. You will compile relevant case studies to improve team knowledge on relevant industry regulations (e.g. ABPI code of practice) and Pfizer Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Support the training of other colleagues in the medical data
- Organise a departmental volunteer day
Pfizer offers a diverse environment which allows employees numerous opportunities to grow and develop. This is a great chance to be part of the bigger picture, and to assist in ensuring Pfizer maintains a strong and diverse workforce as well as developing a talent pipeline of future Pfizer colleagues. It is also a fantastic way to obtain a better comprehension of the pharmaceutical industry and the type of roles it has to offer.
What other opportunities and benefits do Pfizer offer?
There may be opportunities to work with people from other departments including fellow undergraduate trainees. For instance, this may involve collaborating with other trainees and colleagues in various projects; previous Pfizer UK undergraduates have worked with marketing, corporate affairs and global teams on educational projects and also develop skills in medical writing, data analysis and communicating complex scientific data. You will also get opportunities to attend conferences, meetings and training in relation to the projects that you work on.
When would I start?
Placements will start on 5th September 2022 and will run for 12 months.
Organisational Relationships (including role to which the position reports):
Reports to: Vaccines, Medical Affairs Manager.
Type of person we are looking for, in relation to ‘Skills’, ‘Knowledge’ and ‘Motivation’:
- Must be studying for a Degree and taking Industrial Placement as part of degree course or taking gap year
- On target for a Degree Classification in a Medical, Pharmacy or Science degree
- Able and self-assured to challenge the status quo
- Reliable and able to meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
- Ability to use initiative and work effectively in a team environment
- Strong Maths and English skills
- Confidence to liaise with Pfizer personnel at all levels
- Ability to generate creative and innovative ideas
- Excellent interactive skills, tenacity and the ability to influence others
- Expertise with a range of software (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint) and digital communication tools (e.g. apps, websites, social media).
About the Company
Breakthroughs that change patients' lives... At Pfizer we are a patient centric company, guided by our four values: courage, joy, equity and excellence. Our breakthrough culture lends itself to our dedication to transforming millions of lives.
Digital Transformation Strategy
One bold way we are achieving our purpose is through our company wide digital transformation strategy. We are leading the way in adopting new data, modelling and automated solutions to further digitize and accelerate drug discovery and development with the aim of enhancing health outcomes and the patient experience.
We aim to create a trusting, flexible workplace culture which encourages employees to achieve work life harmony, attracts talent and enables everyone to be their best working self. Let’s start the conversation!
Equal Employment Opportunity
We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce is crucial to building a successful business. As an employer, Pfizer is committed to celebrating this, in all its forms – allowing for us to be as diverse as the patients and communities we serve. Together, we continue to build a culture that encourages, supports and empowers our employees.
How to Apply
Please note that we only accept application forms. Please do not send over your CV or cover letter as they will not be considered.